Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reading is taught in schools for a reason

I would just like to remind everyone that if you are one of those shoppers who loves to watch the prices and argue with associates about them you had better be reading the pricing signs thoroughly.

Tonight I met the rudest couple in the state of Colorado (if they aren't the rudest couple I feel sorry for other retail workers!). My coworker had just left for her break and I was putting bras onto their hangers when a couple approached the counter with a piece of shapeware (the modern day girdle) and a bra. I walked around the counter...here is what happened:

"Are you ready to go?" -me
"Your signs say buy one get one 50% off but we want a bra and this thing so one of them should be 50% off." - Man
"Okay, let me check" (I ring in the prices and the bra comes up $20, the shapeware $28...both full price.
"Well it looks like one of them was not on the buy one get one sale."
"Oh this is ridiculous." -Man
"That's false advertising." - Woman
"Well I know all of the shapeware is buy one get one-" me (The woman interjects)
"Well I have a coupon for $10 off. Ring them up seperately so I can get my money's worth if you won't honor your advertised prices." -Woman
(There is nothing to say here, I just took the shapeware off the transaction and did as she asked...then tragedy struck)
"This bra is $14.99, why did it come up $20? I'm not paying that."-Woman
"Look, come here."- Man, as he beckons me toward the wall and jabs his finger at the sign above the bras. "It's right up front next to the register. This is ridiculous, you should know the prices of your merchandise."
"Sir, it says 14.99 each when you buy 2 or more, $20 if you only purchase one." -me
He reads the sign and walks away from me over to his lady friend or wife or whatever and then says something to her in a language I don't recognize and shoots me a dirty look. They decide to purchase the bra anyway and use the coupon. I inform them that the coupon can only be used once so they cannot do two separate transactions in order to use it on both items.
"You have got to be kidding me. NO, JUST TRY IT."-woman
"I can't, it says right here that I have to take it from you after you use it on a single transaction."
"Well they let me do it downstairs, just try it."-woman

Her black eyes bore into me. She stared me down until I felt like she was going to reach across the counter and scratch my eyes out. I should have called a manager over at this point...but I decided that I would just do the transactions and get those asshole people away from me as soon as possible. The man kept mumbling how ridiculous this was and he was pacing around saying other stuff in that odd language. The woman kept a stony silence and gave a loud huff when I said I had to keep her coupon...I wanted to say "if $10 means so much to you, maybe you should go on a diet instead of buy a girdle" but I would never have to courage for that. Plus, what really pisses these unreasonably angry people off is a good, old fashioned smile (grin) and a sugary sweet, "have a nice evening."

Lesson: If you are willing to fight over the price of something and the terms and conditions of a coupon, you had better be willing to read the signs and coupon carefully. You just make yourself look like an ass if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment